Thursday, April 17, 2008

Citroen think we don't know our Europeans!

I rarely get involved writing about the latest advertising campaign for such and such a product or service. For a start, there are simply too many of them, I'd never to talk about anything else. But one campaign recently has drawn my attention, and indeed, drawn my contempt too.

It's the campaign for the new Citroen C5, under the tagline, "Unmistakably German".

*Sigh* How stupid do they think we are? The word "Citroen" is a French word, and Citroen has always been a French-owned company!

Citroen is about as German as Hamburgers!

The ads, and the making of them are at the website for the Citroen C5. It re-inforces just how out of touch the advertising industry is with real people. They think they have to be clever and try to mentally outwit us in order that we don't think we're being sold to. Let me tell you, I work and have worked for a long time in the retail industry, and I find that the opposite works best. If you're upfront, honest and straight forward, it tends to work better than trying to outwit them.

Time for a reality check, methinks.

No comments: