Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chanelle Hayes Sex Tape - Real or Viral Advertising?

Once again, I touch on a territory that I don't tend to deal in. This time, it's the world of celebrity sex tapes, which seems to be quite a popular line in the tabloids. But this one... well, you tell me.

Chanelle Hayes, who was a contestant in Big Brother 8 in the UK, has a new reality TV series airing in the UK and Ireland on VH1 called "Chanelle: Wannabe Popstar". Her debut single, I Want It, is released on 18 May. But the video is already doing the rounds on the music TV channels.



So, with all this happening in her life, what do you think gets uploaded to YouTube? A Paris Hilton-style, night vision-esque production of a 'sex tape'.



It's not that we're not used to seeing her with very few clothes on in provocative poses. She's practically a contract babe for the Daily Star, she seems to be in the paper most days in some pose or another wearing very little. It's either very cynically timed by her management to coincide with her music and relaity TV projects and garner more publicity, or it's very cynically timed by some ex-boyfriend out to destroy her. I know which one I believe.

On the YouTube page,the video is titled "Who Is That?", and the "user" who uploaded this is called "ohnoshedidnt90". They only joined on April 18th 2008, the day the video was released and exactly a month before the single is released. I don't know about you guys, but I smell a rat, or should I say, a viral.

This looks like nothing more than an attempt at viral advertising for her single. After all, the girl in the sex tape wears exactly the same outfit that Chanelle does in the bedroom scenes of her music video. The bedroom also looks very similar, although it appears to have been shot from a different angle. I'd go so far as to say this is a piece of viral advertising shot on one of the sets that her video was shot on. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am here.

No comments: