Sunday, November 18, 2007

Lou Dobbs and the November Surprise!

The Lou Dobbs Commentary that he writes weekly for CNN.com contains something that has been taken across the blogosphere as code for him saying he will announce candidacy for the presidential race, probably as an independent.

I'm more skeptical though about the real meaning behind the commentary. The following is a short excerpt...

"...the arrogance of our political leaders now threatens the future of our nation, and their elitist sense of entitlement has reached such heights that our leaders are now openly dismissive of the will of the people. Working men and women and their families are simply not being represented in Washington.

One year from now, we will have elected a new president. As eager as I am for that reality, I can't imagine any one of the current candidates for their party's nomination being chosen by the American people to lead this nation for the next four years. I believe the person elected a year from now will be an Independent populist, a man or woman who understands the genius of this country lies in the hearts and minds of its people and not in the prerogatives and power of its elites.

As I travel around the country, my feeling about the lack of true candidates is validated by those I talk with: They are not excited about the candidates seeking their party's nomination. The Democratic and Republican Parties have become merely opposite wings of the same bird, and it's the American people who are getting the bird as our elected officials serve their corporate masters and the special interest groups that dominate both parties."

Hmmm... Does he really want to enter, or is he just properly judging the growing mood that I myself have seen from friends on the other side of the Atlantic?

I tend to believe the latter.

The Democratic and Republican parties have retreated to their base 20%, leaving the middle 60% of the political spectrum in the centre relatively clear. It's down the centre highway that I choose to travel, and it's so empty down this way that I can travel as fast as I please, whilst those in the left and right highways are stuck in permanent traffic jams, as the parties and their supporters have retreated away from the centre.

I will on this blog highlight some of the other parties that form part of the US political system, but for some reason or another, have yet to come forward and claim the centre ground that is currently unoccupied by either party.

No comments: