Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ivan Cameron 2002-2009

It's not that often that I talk about UK politics, usually because US politics is more fun, and often easier to take the mickey out of.  But this post is not about mickey-taking, it's about a young life, the oldest son of the Leader of the Opposition, who died overnight aged just 6.

Ivan was not an ordinary boy in the normal sense.  He had Cerebral Palsy, and Ohtahara Syndrome, a particularly severe and nasty form of Epilepsy.  Most sufferers usually die before they are 2 years old.  Some might say Ivan was lucky to live so long.  I say, he was lucky to have such dedicated parents as David and Samantha Cameron.

I have Epilepsy myself.  I used to be a sufferer of Grand Mal Epilepsy, which is fairly serious, but thankfully, not a patch on Ohtahara Syndrome.  These days, I suffer only with Petite Mal, which even compared to Grand Mal, is nowhere near as bad.  I have massive sympathies for David and Samantha, coping with an epileptic in the family is something my own parents managed ably, but add cerebral palsy to the mix, and I think David Cameron has shown just what a good parent he truly is.

Whilst I might not agree with his party's policies, I send my deepest sympathies and condolences to David and Samantha Cameron, and their close relatives and friends. 

Rest in peace, young Ivan.

No comments: