Monday, March 03, 2008

NPR criticises the world of punditry

This is an old entry on NPR's News blog, but I thought it worth highlighting anyway.

NPR's Tom Regan blogs about how pundits have taken over the world of cable news in the US. He references American activist Bethania McKenstry, who said one of the truest things I've ever heard.

"...I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side -- I've noticed those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts..."

It is so true. Just look at the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Russ Limbaugh and Michael Savage. So many opinions, yet so little facts to back them up. The number of times each of them has opened their mouth only to stick their foot in it, I have lost count of.

But there are countless amateur pundits out there on the net, who I catch making fools of themselves more times than I can count in a day, never mind a year. The amount of rubbish that is spouted as hard solid fact and is believed as such, is sad. My previous post, was just one such occasion when I just couldn't stand to read this, without doing a rebuttle. I've done many others, throughout the history of this blog.

Make no mistake, I am as much a pundit as any of them. My difference is, at least I do research, and have facts to back my opinions up, which most of them seem to be sadly lacking on.

No comments: